The biggest financing rounds of 2012 so far: The 10 German startups with multi-million deals2012-08-07 5
In 2011 there were a paltry three eight-digit financing rounds. Well, it looks as if things are looking up – in first half of 2012 alone there have been an impressive 10 internet ventures that received funding of at least double-digit millions. From Axel Springer Digital Classifieds to Payleven and SoundCloud, we’ve brought together the multi-million dollar deals from the movers and shakers in the German internet business of 2012.
Axel Springer Digital Classifieds: €237 million
In March media conglomerate Axel Springer bundled their digital markets into Axel Springer Digital Classifieds. The online recruitment site StepStone, along with property portal Immonet and leading French real estate site SeLoger, will now all be brought under the one roof. Springer decided to take a personal cut of 70 per cent with the other 30 per cent taken over by US private equity company General Atlantic– for a not-so-shabby €237 million!
SoundCloud: $50 million
In the third round of financing for SoundCloud, sources at Techcrunch Europe say American large-scale investor Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers lead the funding round. They contributed an estimated $50 million to the Berlin music platform in the first big round of financing of the new year.
Westwing: $50 million USD
The Munich-based international shopping site for luxury home wares and furniture, Westwing, managed to score a record $50 million worth of financing in June. The US investors Summit Partners, along with old investors Access Industries, Holtzbrinck Ventures,and Rocket Internet all pitched in, with Westwing by now receiving a total of $82 million.
Internetstores: €30 million
In March the online biking, outdoor supplies and furniture dealer Internetstores sold a minority holding to EQT Expansion Capital II – for €30 million! Internetstores will be able to benefit from the knowhow of EQT’s industrial network to encourage the growth and international expansion of the startup.
Delivery Hero: €25 million
In April, the delivery service aggregator Delivery Hero took over competition OnlinePizza Norden Group for an eight-figure Euro sum. To raise the capital for this move, Delivery Hero began a new financing round, boosting their total funding to €40 million – meaning this round would be (according to calculations from Deutsche Startups) in the realm of €25 million.
Lieferando: €16 million
The financing of delivery service Lieferando in June is said to have cost Australian bank Macquarie Group $20 million, around €16 million. In repayment, the Australians received 27% of Lieferando shares and became the largest investor in the delivery firm.
MyTaxi: €10 million
MyTaxi received a cushy €10 million bolster in January this year and widened its intevstor rounds to include Daimler offspring Car2go and Lars Hinrichs in the funding. The old investors T-Venture and the KfW Bankengruppe also got involved in the financing, which MyTaxi is planning on using to facilitate its European expansion.
DaWanda: At least €10 million
In April, Insight Venture Partners got involved with online marketplace DaWanda. The financing rounds with US investors along with the altinvestors apparently brought in a multi-million dollar amount for the Berlin business.
9flats: At least €10 million
January saw Berlin startup 9flats receive funding in the double-digit millions. The financing round was led by the investment arm of Deutsche Telekom, T-Venture. Former shareholders Eventure Capital Partners and Redpoint Ventures didn’t want to miss out on this funding round, also contributing to the homestay website.
Payleven: At least €10 million
Investment firm New Enterprises Associates (NEA), Russian associated company ru.net and Holtzbrinck Ventures altogether invested a two-figure million amount in the startup Payleven in June, according to Deutsche Startups. Payleven is a venture from the Rocket Internet stable of the industrious Samwer brothers and is a clone of the US supplier Square.
Translated by Michelle Kuepper
For related reading, check out: